Victorian Sub-Aqua Group (VSAG)
Toggle Content .:: Home :: Diving Forums :: News :: Photo Gallery :: Downloads :: My Account ::.

Main Menu[x]
 Home News Community VSAG VSAG History Registrant options Search
 Combined

Newsletter[x]
Newsletter

You must be a
to receive our newsletter

Register Now!

Diving Forums - Dive Talk - Dive Reports - Cottage by the Sea

Cottage by the Sea
Report on your last dive here.
Forum Index - Dive Reports
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|  View previous topic View next topic
spfennell
gallery

PostPosted: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 10:38 pm 
Post subject: Cottage by the Sea

Dived Cottage by the Sea today with two of my buddies.

Great dive all round. This was our first visit to this site and we all agree we will return again for sure. High winds were predicted for the afternoon so we planned to dive mid morning which ended up being a bit later (12:00pm-12:30pm) in the end. Current had picked up a bit when we entered from the base of the steps and down the beach about 30 odd metres and as we didn't know this site we were expecting to see a reef in about 30-40 metres which didn't eventuate. We know now that we entered the site a touch too far South and then cut the wrong way to begin with. We ended up missing the first bit of reef and a lengthy surface swim in rising swell Confused Anyway we found the outer reef which was a bit further than we'd thought - probably a good 120 metres out and then going southward about 40 metres or so.

The reef itself was really good. Lots of Kelp and sea grass with a multi ledge reef system that drops down several layers. The surge was quite strong at times but staying low and close the reef meant we were actually able to dive quite comfortably. We made our way right along the reef and looked with my torch into the many gutters and overhangs along there. Lots of marine life including a couple of very large weedy sea dragons - I've never seen them that size before. Blue Devils, Magpie pearch, Old Wives and other wrasses were in abundence. Several small stingrays flittered around the sea grass and were not concerned by us at all.

This area must have had its fair share of shipwrecks because broken timbers were plentiful and looked like they'd been there some time.

We continued our dive back up the reef and then toward the beach at which point we realized our earlier error and located the smaller reef. This by now was quite surgy as the wind had kicked up so wasn't all that diveable without getting real low. The water really races through here when the surfs up and if you're not careful you'll be washed clean over the reef and hurtle toward the beach, which ended up happening to us Shocked

All in all a great dive and we will definitely do that again. We dived in total 60 minutes and aside from a couple of bruises from being whacked into the smaller reef on the way back had no other issues. I think you could dive this reef pretty much anytime if you're familiar with the conditions.

My dive buddy had his camera (which ceased working after a couple of shots) so we'll see if we've any pictures to post later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Dive Reports All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: