Backplate with Wings
-> Boats, Dive Gear and Equipment

#1: Backplate with Wings Author: ChanLocation: Murrumbeena, VIC PostPosted: Mon, 25 May 2009 12:26 pm
    ----
Hi VSAG folk,
I've got about 25 logged dives half of which have been in Victoria. It's come time for me to buy my own gear and I would like some advice from someone who owns backplate + wing style BC. I mainly want to know what size wing would be appropriate for use with 12L steel single or 12L steel double. Would a 40lb wing be good for both or do I need to buy two wings for each of these setups? I'm looking at Halcyon gear. Opinions and advice on brands, wings or anything else would be appreciated.
Regards,
Chan

#2: Re: Backplate with Wings Author: lloyd_borrettLocation: Frankston South, Victoria, Australia PostPosted: Tue, 26 May 2009 9:17 am
    ----
G'day Chan,

I dive using an OMS IQ Pack and an OMS 60 lb lift double bladder wing. I use the same wing for diving with my twin 12L cylinder setup, plus my 12L and 15L single cylinders.

You can read the details about my kit at www.borrett.id.au/inte...bagear.htm.

I took some time to try a range of different BCDs. I chose the OMS setup I have because the first time I tried the OMS IQ Pack was the most comfortable I'd been in the water to that point in time. It just worked for me.

I decided to go with a backpack and wing setup because I wanted the flexibility it provided. At the time I didn't know what sort of diving I might end up doing. I figured a suitable backpack and wing setup would enable me to quickly adjust to whatever setup was required.

That's proved to be the case. I can easily adapt my setup for the type of diving I'm doing.

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett.

#3: Re: Backplate with Wings Author: ChanLocation: Murrumbeena, VIC PostPosted: Tue, 26 May 2009 12:22 pm
    ----
So you don't have any trouble using a larger wing with a single tank? Most shops have told me I have to buy different wings for single and double tank setups.

#4: Re: Backplate with Wings Author: lloyd_borrettLocation: Frankston South, Victoria, Australia PostPosted: Wed, 27 May 2009 12:06 am
    ----
Some wings are designed to be for single cylinder only. Some wings for twin cylinder only. Some for either. Mine is one of the latter. Thus I haven't had to invest in different wings.

Regards, Lloyd Borrett.

#5: Re: Backplate with Wings Author: ChrisoLocation: Perth PostPosted: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 8:53 am
    ----
Morning Chan
I would be most happy to send you over a TryDive BP&W to take diving for a weekends diving, shoot me an Email and we can configure it to your specifications and see how you like diving it.

We offer Wholesale pricing to all VSAG Club members.

Cheers
Chriso
www.divetub.com.au

-> Boats, Dive Gear and Equipment